The Commission for Air Quality Management in NCR & Adjoining Areas (CAQM) has issued directives to the State Governments of Haryana, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh (U.P.) for the strict implementation of targeted timelines for inter-city/inter-state bus services serving Delhi and other cities/towns in the National Capital Region (NCR). The directive aims to strengthen efficient and cleaner public transport services within the NCR.
The action plans developed in consultation with the NCR States focus on transitioning to cleaner bus services in the NCR, targeting electric vehicles (EVs) in the long term (within 5 years), EVs/CNG buses in the medium term (within 3 years), and interim usage of EVs/CNG/BS-VI diesel buses. The plans include the replacement and relocation of older BS-III and BS-IV diesel-operated buses and the procurement of new BS-VI diesel buses.
The State Governments’ action plans include:
- Haryana: 1313 new BS-VI diesel buses
- Rajasthan: 590 new BS-VI diesel buses and outsourcing services of 440 BS-VI diesel buses
- Uttar Pradesh: Over 1650 new BS-VI diesel buses
Additionally, the procurement of CNG buses and EVs, following respective EV policies, is underway in the NCR.
The CAQM Advisory, dated 19.07.2023, mandates that all buses originating from NCR areas in the respective states and traveling to Delhi must be EVs, CNG, or BS-VI diesel starting from 01.11.2023.
The CAQM has directed the State Governments of Haryana, Rajasthan, and U.P. for strict implementation of targeted timelines for inter-city/inter-state bus services as follows:
- All bus services to and from any city/town in Haryana and Delhi to be operated only through EV/CNG/BS-VI Diesel buses from 01.11.2023.
- All bus services between NCR cities/towns in Rajasthan and Delhi and any other city/town in NCR to be operated only through EV/CNG/BS-VI Diesel buses from 01.11.2023.
- All bus services from non-NCR areas of Rajasthan to Delhi to be ensured through EV/CNG/BS-VI Diesel buses from 01.01.2024.
- All bus services between NCR cities/towns in Uttar Pradesh and Delhi to be operated only through EV/CNG/BS-VI Diesel buses from 01.11.2023.
- All bus services within the 8 NCR districts of Uttar Pradesh to be through BS-VI Diesel compliant buses from 01.04.2024.
- All buses operating between non-NCR areas of the State to Delhi and NCR areas of other States to be ensured through BS-VI diesel compliant buses from 01.07.2024.
These directives also apply to all bus services operated by respective State Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) and private entities. The operation of only EV/CNG/BS-VI Diesel buses in the entire NCR is expected to be in effect from 01.07.2024. Transport and Traffic Police departments in GNCTD and all NCR States have been directed to ensure strict compliance through regular monitoring of field-level implementation. 🚌🔌🌿