Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is involved in R&D of Defence Technologies / Systems & is not directly involved in acquiring infrastructure for defence manufacturing in the country. A Committee under the chairmanship of Dr. P. Rama Rao was constituted to conduct a comprehensive review of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
The following recommendations of the Committee have been implemented after approval of Government:
• Nomination of Nodal Officers for structured interaction between DRDO and Services.
• Introduction of Integrated Financial Advice (IFA) Scheme for financial decentralization.
• Appointment of a dedicated Chief Controller for Human Resources (HR).
• Creation of Seven Technology Domain based Clusters each headed by one Director General.
• Restructuring of DRDO HQrs, Creation of Directorate of Systems Analysis and Modelling (SAM) and Directorate of Quality, Reliability and Safety (QR&S).
DRDO undertakes joint development with Indian industries as well as transfers technologies to the industries for manufacturing of products & systems in India. DRDO Guidelines for Transfer of Technology has already been promulgated to facilitate ‘Make in India’.
Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) 2016 has also been promulgated to facilitate ‘Make in India; wherein acquisition of systems through design and development by DRDO has been elaborated.