CII Design Excellence Awards 2015
As its on going pursuit to establish design as a tool for national competitiveness, CII initiated the “CII Design Excellence Awards” from the year of 2011.
The awards are a true acknowledgement of the design excellence, innovation and originality of Indian Design
The CII Design Excellence Awards discover the new paradigms of design in India, which answers the call of making Indian industry and manufacturing more competitive and innovative. The awards showcase the emerging face of design in India and its newer manifestations. The India Design Council endorses CII Design Excellence Awards.
In the true CII fashion these awards follow a rigorous and objective assessment process. The awards are given in four main categories of Visual Communication, Industrial Design, Interaction Design and Mobility Design and their 32 sub-categories. Judging is based on clear criteria of design excellence including Form and Function, Innovation, and design success besides other parameters.
10 Jury Members from wide-ranging disciplines from within India and overseas, assessed 154 entries, which entered the final round of assessment.
· Prof. Y.S. Rajan – Honorary Distinguished Professor, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) – Chairman of the Jury
· SonalDabral, Chairman & Chief Creative Officer, DDB Mudra Group, India
· Christian Buttner, Senior Designer, Vorverk Group, Germany
· Justin Knecht, Senior Programme Director, Luma Institute, USA
· Dr. Chandan Chowdhury, Managing Director – India, DassaultSystemes
· Xenia Viladas, Professor, Savannah College of Art & Design, USA
· Jeroen Raijmakers, Senior Director, Philips Design, Health Systems Design Innovation, Netherlands
· ChokenanadBussracumpakorn, Head of Design Management, School of Architecture & Design, King Mongkut’s University of Technology, Thailand
· Shashank Mehta, Principal Faculty, Industrial Design, National Institute of Design, India
· LK Das, Former Head of IDDC, IIT, Delhi
CII Design Excellence Awards: Students Category
From this year onwards, CII has decided to incorporate student awards category within the prestigious CII Design Excellence Awards in order to encourage, support and nurture new talent entering the industry, which is essential for the future of our industry.
The CII Design Excellence Awards: Student Category is unique as it does not ask students to work on a brief, but asks the students to enter their final year thesis project for the awards. There are ten awards distributed across four categories viz. Visual Communication, Industrial Design, Mobility Design and Interaction Design.
The selection of entries is based on the evaluation of a Project Summary Format against clear criteria of design excellence including solution need and potential, aesthetics, feasibility and magic.
The awards will be given at the hands of Mr. Amitabh Kant, Secretary, Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion, Ministry of Commerce, Government of India in an awards ceremony to be held on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 at Hotel Lalit, New Delhi from 1800 Hrs onwards.
Joining him at the awards ceremony are:
· Sumit Mazumder, President, CII & Chairman & Managing Director, TIl Limited
· Dr.Naushad Forbes, President- Designate CII & Director, Forbes Marshall Private Limited
· Udayant Malhoutra, Chairman, CII National Committee on Design and CEO & Managing Director, Dynamatic Technologies Limited
· Prof.PradyumnaVyas, Director, National Institute of Design & Member Secretary, India Design Council
The Award Winners
The CII Design Excellence Awards set the standard for good design in India and is the ultimate accolade for the design work done over the past 24 months. As in the past years, the entries this year established new benchmarks of design excellence and showed how the profession of design is rising to the challenge of new technological opportunities and business needs.
Visual Communication – Category Winner
The award will be given to #AskingForIt—Campaign Identity for Social Advocacy on Sexual Harassment by CODESIGN
Industrial Design – Category Winner
The award will be given to Entraview by Icarus Nova Discovery
Mobility Design – Category Winner
The award will be given toAshok Leyland Captain Tipper
Visual identity – The winner is #AskingForIt—Campaign Identity for Social Advocacy on Sexual Harassment by CODESIGN
Environments – The winner is ‘THOTS Lab’ by Mind Edutainment Pvt. Ltd.
Packaging Graphics – The winner is TASTE ME TO SPAIN, TASTE ME TO MEXICO by Landor
Publications – The winner is I Mark Catalogue by Therefore Design
Household Appliances – The winner is Clip-on Pressure Cookware by TTK Prestige
Lifestyle – The winner is Neyth Nursing Cover & Scarf by Kara Ventures
Packaging Structure – The winner is Temi Tea by Echostream
Capital Goods – The winner is L&T 990HF Tandem Compactor
Tools, Equipment & Gauges – The winner is Liferaft Modular Industrial Ups ByDesignlife
Health & Personal Care – The winner is Entraview by Icarus Nova Discovery
Architectural & Interior Products – The winner is The Facet Paneling by Krea
Consumer, home and personal – The winner is Godrej Appliance Division: NXW Series by Fractal Ink
Games and Multimedia – The Smart Investor by Designik
Mobile Apps – The winner is Mahindra e2o Connected Car Mobile Application by MahindraREVA Electric Vehicles Pvt. Ltd
Two-wheelers – Ladybird Vogue by TI Cycles
Four wheelers – commercial – The winner is Ashok Leyland Captain Tipper
CII Design Excellence Award Winners: Students Category
Post Graduate – Comprehensive Infant care centre by Rakesh Sambath
Undergraduate – GIVING RISE by SmritiJaiswal
Post Graduate – Category
· Industrial Design – Comprehensive Infant care centre by Rakesh Sambath
· Visual Communication – Untextbook Grade 8 by HariniKannan
· Interaction Design – DRIPO by Vishnu
· Mobility Design – Flood Relief Vehicle by TonmoyPhukan
Under Graduate – Category
· Industrial Design – Technically Complex Product by Swayang Das
· Visual Communication – GIVING RISE by SmritiJaiswal
· Interaction Design – Re-imagining Smartphones in Education by Ankit Kumar
About Confederation of Indian Industry
The Confederation of Indian Industry (www.cii.in) works to create and sustain an environment conducive to the growth of industry in India, partnering industry and government alike through advisory and consultative processes. Founded over 117 years ago, it is India’s premier business association, with a direct membership of over 7100 organizations from the private as well as public sectors, including SMEs and MNCs, and an indirect membership of over 90,000 companies from around 250 national and regional sectoral associations.
Since last 14 years, CII has been performing the role of India’s strategic body for promoting and leveraging design towards sustainable economic growth. It has strenuously and diligently worked to strengthen and support the economy and society by demonstrating and promoting the vital role of design in making businesses more competitive and public services more effective.