PIB News Update: Union Minister of State for Jal Shakti & Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri Rattan Lal Katariah as informed that Central Government formulated the National Water Policy in 1987, which was subsequently reviewed and revised in the year 2002 and 2012. The National Water Policy has been sent to all States/ UTs for appropriate action. As per available information, 16 States/UT have formulated and adopted their State Water Policies.
Some of the actions taken by the Central Government in accordance with the principles indicated in the third National Water Policy (2012) are as follows:
- The Inter-State River Water Disputes (Amendment) Bill, 2019 was introduced in Lok Sabha on 25.07.2019 and was subsequently passed by Lok Sabha.
- Ministry of Jal Shakti has prepared a draft National Water Framework Bill and draft River Basin Management Bill, 2018, which have been circulated to States / UTs for comments.
- Dam Safety Bill, 2019 was prepared and introduced in Lok Sabha on 29th July, 2019. The bill was subsequently passed by Lok Sabha.
- National Water Informatics Centre has been established under National Hydrology Project.
- Central Water Commission has completed a study titled “Reassessment of Water Availability in India using Space Inputs”.
- Central Ground Water Board has prepared a conceptual document titled “Master Plan for Artificial Recharge to Ground Water in India” during the year 2013, which envisages construction of different types of artificial recharge and rainwater harvesting structures in the country.
- A web based Water Resources Information System (India WRIS) has been set up and all unclassified data of Central Water Commission and Central Ground Water Board have been uploaded on the website.
Since the adoption of National Water Policy 2012, many challenges including water scarcity have emerged significantly in water sector. With a goal to address the present challenges in water sector, revision of National Water Policy 2012 has been envisaged by the Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Ministry of Jal Shakti and a drafting committee has been constituted on 5th November, 2019 to revise the National Water Policy.