PIB News Update: Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry, Shri Piyush Goyal has informed that Zone-wise and year-wise number of consequential train derailments during the last three years i.e. 2016-17 to 2018-19 and the current year (from 1st April, 2019 to 31st October, 2019) are given below:-
|Zonal Railway||2016-17||2017-18||2018-19||2019-20 (Upto 31st October, 2019)|
|South East Central||5||1||0||0|
The following steps have been taken to avoid incidents of derailments and to improve safety of railway tracks:-
- During 2018-19, 4181 km track renewal had been carried out. For the current year i.e. 2019-20, 2643 km track renewal has been carried out upto October, 2019.
- In order to improve safety, modern track structure consisting of Prestressed Concrete Sleeper (PSC), 60kg, 90 or higher Ultimate Tensile Strength (UTS) rails, fanshaped layout turnout on PSC sleepers, Steel Channel Sleepers on girder bridges is used while carrying out primary track renewals.
- Long rail panels of 260M/130M length are being manufactured at the steel plant to minimize number of Alumino Thermit joints in the track.
- Provision of Thick Web Switches (TWS) is planned for all important routes of IR. To expedite provision of TWS, procurement of Thick Web Switches has been decentralized to zonal railways.
- Cold weather patrolling of the railway tracks is done during the coldest part of the night in cold months of the year to look out for weld/rail fractures for ensuring safety.
- Ultrasonic Flaw Detection (USFD) testing of rails to detect flaws and timely removal of defective rails. USFD Vehicular testing system has been introduced and implemented successfully on Northern Railway.
- GPS trackers are being provided to keyman and patrolmen to monitor their movement and to report any unsafe condition noticed by them instantaneously.
- Mechanization of track maintenance is being carried out to reduce human errors.
- Track management system has been introduced on Indian Railways for development of database and decision support system and to decide/rationalize maintenance requirement and optimize inputs.
- Safety drives and inspections at regular intervals are carried out to monitor and educate staff for observance of safe practices.
The total expenditure on Repairs & Maintenance of Permanent Way & Works during the last three years i.e. 2016-17 to 2018-19 and the current year (from 1st April, 2019 to 31st October, 2019) are given below:-
|Year||Total expenditure on Repairs & Maintenance of Permanent Way & Works (₹ in crores)|
(Upto 31st October, 2019)