Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has established Bi-nodal “Centre of Propulsion Technology” (CoPT) at IIT Bombay and IIT Madras through an agreement signed on 09th July, 2016 at IIT Bombay amongst DRDO, IIT Bombay and IIT Madras.
CoPT, as the main Centre of Propulsion Technology, has been conceptualised to engage with the primary Research Nodes (IIT Bombay and IIT Madras) and other research institutions/centres to undertake advanced collaborative research in the critical defence technology areas. It has been conceptualised to facilitate and undertake multidisciplinary directed basic and applied research in the focused areas of :-
• Futuristic aero- engines.
• Hypersonic propulsion for long duration flight.
• Solid propellant combustion modelling.
• Morphing aircraft including its propulsion and associated technologies addressing the emerging defence and security needs.
For the First Phase of CoPT activities, an amount of Rs. 160 Cr has been sanctioned for:
• Technical programmes pertaining to gas turbine propulsion for small engine, solid propellant combustion modelling, and morphing aircraft technologies.
• Infrastructure development
• CoPT running expenses.
The cost is to be met entirely out of Grants-in –aid funds from DRDO.