Minister of Railways Shri Suresh Prabhu inspected the rake of Humsafar Express i.e. 9 December 2016 at Delhi Safdarjung Railway Station. In his Budget Speech of 2016-17, he had announced the introduction of Humsafar Express, as a fully air-conditioned third AC service with an optional service for meals.
Accordingly, the first Humsafar rake comprising of LHB (Linke Hofmann Busch) AC – 3 Tier coaches and Power cars has been turned out from Modern Coach Factory, Raebareli on 12th November 2016. The Humsafar coaches offer better facilities / amenities for the passengers, some of which are listed below:
1. Aesthetically pleasing colour scheme with anti-graffiti coating and distinctive 3D numbering on the exterior.
2. Pleasing interiors with attractive and colourfully co-ordinated seats, berths, partitions, curtains, improved/hygienic toilets, film type mirrors, etc.
3. Deodorizer, Dustbins, Sleek bottle holders in the cabins
4. Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) surveillance of the common areas of the coaches.
5. Integrated Braille displays for the visually impaired.
6. Hygienic lavatories with odour flushing system
7. Global Positioning System (GPS) based Passenger information system
8. Passenger announcement system
9. Fire and Smoke detection system in the coaches.
10. Fire detection and suppression system in the Power cars
11. Equipped with Auto Vending Machine and Mini Pantry with Oven/Fridge
A total of 10 Humsafar trains have been announced by the Ministry of Railways in the new time table. Of these, Train No. 12595 Gorakhpur-Anand Vihar (T) Humsafar Express, with a composition of 16 AC 3 Tier coaches and 2 Power cars, shall be the first Humsafar train that is going to be inaugurated soon.
It is planned to manufacture 10 Humsafar rakes during the current financial year at Modern Coach Factory, Raebareli and Rail Coach Factory, Kapurthala. The cost of a Humsafar AC 3 Tier coach Rs.2.58 crores, as compared to Rs.2.39 crores for a normal LHB AC 3 Tier coach.