During the year 2015, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment launched various initiatives for the welfare of Scheduled Caste, Other Backward Class, Denotified, Nomadic & Semi-Nomadic Tribes, Persons with Disabilities, Persons in Destitute, Safai Karamcharis, etc. These initiatives include financial support to the target groups, rehabilitation of beggars, and result oriented skill development programmes. Some of the programmes launched during the year include –
Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan):
· Accessible India Campaign aims at achieving universal accessibility for Persons with Disabilities and to create an enabling and barrier free environment, with a focus on three verticals: Built Environment; Public Transportation and Information & Communication Technologies.
· It was launched on 3rd December 2015, commemorating International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
· It will be taken up in 75 select cities to start with.
· It aims at enhancing the proportion of accessible government buildings, airports, railway stations, Public Transport, Public Documents and Websites
Shri Arun Jaitley Union Minister for Finance, launching Accessible India Campaign, Shri Thaawar Chand Gehlot, Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment, Shri Vijay Sampla, Shri Krishan Pal Gujjar, Ministers of State for Social Justice & Empowerment also in the pictureAccessible Index is underway to to serve as a tool to assess the extent to which the processes and systems of an organization are aligned to ensure independent, dignified and positive dealing with employees and clients with disabilities.
1st International Film Festival for the Persons with Disabilities
· For the first time, the Ministry in partnership with National Film Development Corporation has brought out a Film Festival for the Persons with Disabilities, in recognition of the spirit of the persons with disabilities.
· This Film Festival was held from December 1 to December 3, 2015.
· It will showcase cinemas that open our world to their mind-space and also cinema that has been made by them.
It helps bring to the fore the everyday struggles of persons with disabilities and enables governments and organizations across the world to address these issues, help the persons with disabilities achieve their full potential by providing them with all possible resources, raise awareness about their needs, and make communities more inclusive for them.
· In a world where persons with disabilities often get sidelined, this event will put the spotlight on their work and expression that deserves appreciation for their skill, honesty of thought, and for a unique perspective on their life, challenges and aspirations.
Steps taken by the ministry to promote Entrepreneurship:
· Venture Capital Fund of Rs. 200 Crore for Schedule Caste Entrepreneurs created on 22 December 2014. The scheme would be implemented by Industrial Finance Corporation of India Limited. The Fund has been registered with SEBI.
· Credit Enhancement Guarantee Scheme for Young Scheduled Caste Entrepreneurs launched with a budget of Rs. 200 Crore to facilitate concessional finance. This will encourage Entrepreneurship among SC and result in job creation.
Steps taken by the ministry to propagate Dr. Ambedkar’s ideas
· Foundation stone of Dr. Ambedkar International Centre for Social Justice in Delhi laid on 20th April 2015. The Centre will come up at an approximate cost of Rs. 195 Crore.
The Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri Thaawar Chand Gehlot addressing at the Foundation Stone laying Ceremony of Dr. Ambedkar International Centre, in New Delhi on April 20, 2015. The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, the Ministers of State for Social Justice & Empowerment, Shri Krishan Pal and Shri Vijay Sampla and the Secretary, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Ms. Anita Agnihotri are also seen.
· Dr. Ambedkar Memorial to be constructed at an approximate cost of Rs. 100 Crore
· Braille edition of Dr. Ambedkar writings & speeches released
Bill in the pipline
· A draft bill The Persons in Destitute (Protection Care & Rehabilitation) Bill 2015 has been circulated to all States/UTs for their comments/ suggestion.
Steps taken by the ministry towards imparting Skill Development training to SC, OBC,etc
· National Schedule Caste Finance Development Corporation provided skill development training to 13258 trainees during 2014-15
· National Safai Karmacharis Finance Development Corporation provided skill development training to 8750 trainees during 2014-15
· Commercial Motor Driving Training with Self Defense skills for women imparted by National Safai Karmacharis Finance Development Corporation
· National Backward Classes Finance Development Corporation provided skill development training to 13510 trainees during 2014-15
· National Action Plan for Skill Training of Persons With Disabilities has been launched by which 25 Lakh PwDs will be Skill Trained by the year 2022.
New Scholarship Schemes introduced by the ministry
· National Fellowship for OBCs was launched and implemented through UGC.
· Dr Ambedkar Post Matric Scholarship Scheme for Economically Backward Classes launched
· National Commission for Denotified, Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Tribes (NCDNT) constituted to prepare state wise list of Denotified, Nomadic & Semi-Nomadic Tribes communities who are not included in SC/ST/OBC and to assess welfare measures for these communities.
· New Disabled friendly and Interactive website for National Trust http://thenationaltrust.gov.in/content/ launched. NGO Registrations and paying donations can be done in the website itself.
· 10 New / Revised Schemes for the welfare of persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities launched by National Trust.
The Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri Thaawar Chand Gehlot releasing the publication at the launch of the new / revised schemes of National Trust for the welfare of persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, in New Delhi on November 24, 2015. The Ministers of State for Social Justice & Empowerment, Shri Krishan Pal and Shri Vijay Sampla and other dignitaries are also seen.
· New Interactive website http://nbcfdc.gov.in/ and e-tracking system launched by National Backward Classes Finance Development Corporation
· National Backward Classes Finance Development Corporation has launched e-Marketing platform to the target group
· Drug De Addiction Helpline Number 1XXX-XX-0031 launched to help Drug Abuse victims and their families
· National Safai Karmacharis Finance Development Corporation launched Swachhta Udyami Yojana for financing viable community toilet projects & Garbage collection vehicles.
· Scheme for Establishment of College for deaf in each of the five regions of the country has been launched in January, 2015. The object of the Scheme is to provide equal educational opportunities to hearing impaired students for pursuing higher studies and improve the chances of employability and better quality of life through higher education.