Hindustan Shipyard Ltd. (HSL) is a Defence Public Sector Undertakings (PSU). The shipyard has been nominated for some of these projects mentioned below:-
• Fleet Support ship under ‘Buy Indian on nomination to HSL’ categorization (Qty 05).
• Landing Platform Docks under ‘Buy Indian on nomination to HSL’ categorization (Qty 02). Two LPDs are to be built by an Indian Shipyard on competitive basis under ;Buy & Make (Indian)’ and the balance two are to be built by M/s HSL at L1 cost on nomination basis.
• Special Operation Vehicle under ‘’Buy Indian on nomination to HSL’ categorization (Qty 02).
No decision with regard to Project 75 (India) has yet been taken.
Details of the steps being taken to increase the present capacity of Hindustan Shipyard Ltd. are as follows:-
• Placing orders on HSL to ensure break even order of Rs.5000 Crore.
• HSL is being encouraged to take commercial orders.
• Feasibility of off-loading of work from other DPSU shipyards to HSL is being examined.
• Strategic partnership is being conceived to help modernize the yard, enhance its technology and equipment, and improve its capacity to produce specific technology intensive Naval vessels.
• Grant of aid for restoration work post cyclone Hudhud in October 2014 is under active consideration.
Private shipbuilding industry is being encouraged to participate in construction of ships for the Indian Navy on a competitive basis.