Government is keeping a close watch on the situation and a number of measures have been taken to contain the spread of COVID-19. Cabinet Secretary took the 16th review meeting today and the preparations to bring Indian citizens from Iran were elaborately discussed which are at an advance stage. Since the disease has spread over more than 90 countries with over 1 lakh cases worldwide, the States/ UTs have been asked to enhance community surveillance as per the list of passengers provided to the States/UTs.
In view of rising cases from France, USA, Spain, it was decided to have dedicated aerobridges of these countries also in addition to the 12 countries.
It was also stressed that people need to be made aware about the use of mask with the following guidelines-
When to use a mask
- If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
- Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
- Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.
How to use a mask
- Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
- Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
- To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
As of today, there are 39 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Five (5) new cases have been confirmed today in Kerala. They have travel history to Italy.
Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr Harsh Vardhan is continuously monitoring and reviewing the status, actions taken and future preparedness of States. Also, Secretary (HFW) is reviewing the situation with States/UTs on a regular basis.
The Health Ministry appeals to the people to kindly observe the Dos and Don’ts, coughing etiquettes, hand-washing and avoid large gatherings.