Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar has informed that there is no proposal to increase the number of DRDO laboratories across the country. There are 60 laboratories/establishments/units (including 46 technology cluster laboratories) already functioning under DRDO in various disciplines covering entire spectrum of R&D for defence applications.
Capacity building and technical advancement of DRDO laboratories is an ongoing process based on the requirements of the individual laboratories. However, following steps have been taken for the technical enhancement of DRDO laboratories:-
• Foreign collaboration for advancement of technologies.
• Deputation of scientists for advanced technical &management courses.
• Deputation of scientists for higher studies in reputed institutions in India.
• Infrastructure enhancement of laboratories/establishments.
• Expansion of existing design and testing facilities.
• Orientation / induction programmes for young scientists.
• Continuous education programme for scientists / staff.