The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Tourism, Government of the Republic of India and Ministry of Cultural, Information & Tourism of the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic for strengthening cooperation in the field of Tourism.
Considering the mutual benefits, signing of a Memorandum of Understanding in the field of tourism would enable both parties to enter into a constructive dialogue for development and promotion of tourism in each other’s country for the economic development of two nations. The signing of Memorandum of Understanding with the Kyrgyz Republic will be instrumental in increasing arrival from this important source market.
The main objectives of the Memorandum of Understanding include:
- a) To expand bilateral cooperation in the tourism sector
- b) To exchange information and data related to tourism
- c) To encourage cooperation between tourism stakeholders including Hotels and Tour operators.
- d) To establish exchange programme for cooperation in Human Resource Development.
- e) To invest in the Tourism and Hospitality sectors.
- f) To exchange visits of Tour Operators / Media /Opinion Makers for promotion of two way tourism
- g) To exchange experiences in the areas of promotion, marketing, destination development and management.
- h) To participate in travel fairs /exhibitions in each other’s country and
- i) To promote safe & honourable and sustainable tourism.
Kyrgyzstan is a part of CIS countries and is bordered by countries like Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. India and Kyrgyzstan have enjoyed a strong diplomatic and long economic relationship. Tourist arrivals from Kyrgystan during the last five years are as follows:-
2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
1348 2103 2479 2729 2883*
* January –November 2016