The Government has decided to observe 26th November as ‘Constitution Day. On the day in 1949, the constitution was adopted which came into force on January 26, 1950 marking the beginning of a new era in the history of India. This year, the country is celebrating 125th birth Anniversary of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar . The ‘Constitution Day’ will be a part of these year-long nationwide celebrations. This will be a tribute to Dr. Ambedkar , who played a seminal role in the framing of the Indian Constitution as the Chairman of the Drafting Committee of Constituent Assembly
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is the Nodal Ministry for celebration of Constitution Day. A number of activities will be taken up by other Ministries/Departments which include:-
- Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Human Resource Development has informed that following activities are proposed to be undertaken by all schools under the CBSE, Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan, Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS), Central Tibetan School Administration (CTSA), and Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination (CISCE) and those under the State Governments and UTs on the occasion of the first “Constitution Day”-
- Preamble to the Constitution (as it exists on date) to be read out in school assembly on 26th November, 2015 by all students.
- One period to be devoted on 26th November, 2015 for a talk on the salient features of the Constitution of India and its making, by a guest speaker or one of the teachers.
iii. Essay competitions and quizzes to be organized on the theme of the Constitution.
- An online Essay competition to be also organized on the theme of the Constitution by all CBSE affiliated schools.
- Department of Higher Education, MoHRD has informed that they have already intimated UGC, AICTE, etc. that the day may be celebrated as Constitution Day. It was requested that the colleges wherever possible may organize mock Parliament Sessions and debates on the Indian Constitution on 26th November, 2015. UGC informed that they have requested Dr Ambedkar University, Lucknow to make arrangements for organizing Quiz competition, wherein at State level winners from each State would participate in a quiz at the All India level
- Department of Youth Affair has proposed to ensure following activities:-
- a) Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development (RGNIYD) shall organize quiz competition on Constitution.
- b) NSS Units to organize lectures on the Constitution in their colleges/schools.
- c) NYS Volunteers/NYKS Youth Club Members to bring awareness and explain the history of constitution in their areas.
- d) The ‘Preamble’ of the Constitution be displayed at their headquarters and in their field offices.
- Ministry of External Affairs has informed that they have already instructed all the Missions/ Stations where Indian schools are located to ensure observance of Constitution Day on 26.11.2015. It is also proposed that Missions/Posts may undertake translation of the Indian Constitution in local language and consider its distribution among academic and research institutions, Parliaments, Indology Centres etc. For the instance, the Indian Constitution has recently been translated into Arabic.
- Ministry of Home Affairs has informed that they have the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) and their establishments under Police-II Division, MHA would undertake appropriate action for celebration of Constitution Day on 26th November, 2015.
- Department of Sports has intimated the followings:-
- i) All Chief Secretaries/ Sports Secretaries/ Administrator/ Advisor to Administrator have been requested to organize “Run for Equality“.
- ii) Sports Authority of India (SAI) is making arrangements for activities as follows:-
- A Symbolic Run termed as “Run for Equality” at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium where the trainees of SAI will participate.
- Similar action will also be taken by Regional Centres where Run will be organized including SAI trainees and trainees of Come & Play Scheme.
- The Run will be organized on the pattern it was organized on 31st October, 2015 on the occasion of National Unity Day as “Run for Unity.”
- Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs has decided to illuminate Parliament House Complex on the occasion of Constitution Day on 26th November, 2015 and they have also decided to call for Special Session of Parliament for this purpose.
- The Department of Social Justice and Empowerment has requested to all the State Government/ Union Territories to celebrate Constitution Day on 26th November, 2015.