The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation is organising a month-long Swachh Bharat special campaign around the theme ‘Freedom from Open Defecation’ (‘खुले में शौच से मुक्ति’) in August 2016, the month in which the nation’s Independence Day falls. The following events are being organized by the Ministry during the month:
- August 1st: Ministry has kicked off the campaign with the launch of its newsletter “Swachhta Samachar” and an ‘Ask Me Anything’ (AMA) campaign on social media (twitter.com/swachhbharat).
Link to Swachhta Samachar (Hindi): http://www.mdws.gov.in/hi/swachhta-samachar-vol-1-issue-1
Link to Swachhta Samachar (English): http://www.mdws.gov.in/swachhta-samachar-vol-1-issue-1
- August 5th: National Media Interaction on Swachh Bharat Mission to sensitize Media on SBM content and the countrywide efforts being made to make it a success. Also aimed at seeking their feedback on SBM programmes, especially in IEC.
- August 11th: Launch of 5 SBM movies by the Minister, MDWS, that highlight the impact of SBM on the ground through the stories of grass roots citizen champions
- August 11th: A ‘Chai Pe Charcha’ between the Minister, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, and selected Champion Collectors for Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin)
- August 14th or 16th:
- States and Districts to hold mass mobilization events – rallies, runs, human chains, candle march – in favour of ‘Freedom from Open Defecation’, involving ODF champions, opinion leaders, youth, women, children, etc.
- Special Independence Day events and special events to be organized at district-levels, and Taluka/Block levels to honour local Sanitation Champions
- August 20th: Mass event in Allahabad with 1651 Gram Pradhans and associated Pramukhs to motivate them for making villages along the banks of the river Ganga ODF. Heads of 52 Zilla Parishads, District Collectors, all other stakeholders from Centre and the States also expected to attend.
- August 24th: Release of ‘Swachh Survekshan’, a Survey commissioned by the Ministry through Quality Council of India to rank the top performing districts of the country based on the NSSO survey and the States.
- August 28h: MDWS will launch a series on Swachh Bharat nationwide that will run as a weekly show on prime time on Doordarshan.
- Constant Social Media buzz: A buzz will be created throughout the month through continuous activity around the themes ‘Freedom from Open Defecation’ and ‘खुले में शौच से मुक्ति’ on social media. Success stories will be shared from the field through videos of beneficiaries, write-ups, photographs and infographics.
Earlier, the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, and the Minister, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar announced the campaign launch through tweets on social media: