The World Environment Day was celebrated in Cochin Port Trust with various programmes including planting of saplings, awareness class on Environment Protection Act and Rules etc. Shri G. Senthilvel, Chairman and Heads of Department planted saplings near Samudrika Convention Centre. Ms. Rameena, Assistant Engineer, Pollution Control Board, Kerala State conducted the awareness class for employees. Cochin Port Trust also proposes planting of 500 saplings in the port area and office premises during this monsoon season.
Cochin Port has been promoting several “GREEN PORT” initiatives which include:
1. Cold Frontage Shore Power supply has been introduced at the berths
2. Construction of a Septage Treatment Plant is in progress at South end of Willingdon Island.
3. Effluent Treatment Plant has been established in the Cochin Port Trust Hospital.
4. Bio Gas Plant has been installed in the CISF Barrack complex.
5. Action has been initiated for establishment of a150 KW Solar Power Plant on the roof top of Port Substation, installation of Bio Gas Plant in the Nursing School and a Vermi Compost Plant in Willingdon Island.
6. The Port has also decided to lease out land in Willingdon Island for Organic Farming.