As part of its Coastal Community Development under Sagarmala, the Ministry of Shipping has provided Central financial assistance of INR Rs. 6.52 crore as part of the first installment to the Government of Maharashtra for modernization of the existing fishing harbor at Sassoon Dock, in Mumbai. The project has been identified as one of early bird projects under Sagarmala Programme to enhance the livelihood of the coastal communities.
The total proposed cost of the project is INR 52.17 Crore and will be funded in a convergence mode of implementation under Sagarmala Programme of Ministry of Shipping and Central Sector Scheme on Blue Revolution: Integrated Development and Management of Fisheries of Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries. The remaining 50% of the project cost will be funded by the State Government of Maharashtra.
Sassoon Dock Fishing Harbour is one of the seven major fishing harbours in the country. The dock operates around 1,000 fishing vessels and lands an average of 48,000 tonnes of fish annually under the management of Mumbai Port Trust. The initiative will modernise the fish handling facilities to improve the hygiene and sanitation standards in the harbour and develop a fully integrated fishing harbour with all modern amenities like ice plant, cold storage, modern auction hall, etc. This would help in maintaining sea food export quality as per the international quality requirements and food safety standards.
The old and new Sassoon Dock area is a major Fish Landing and marketing centre of Mumbai, Metropolis, serving the needs of both Domestic and Export market. The Mumbai Port Trust (MbPT) would also be undertaking the work of Dredging of Sassoon dock basin at a cost of INR.60.00 lakhs.MbPT has also taken initiative of developing the Sassoon Dock Complex and repairing of Gate House and clock tower. Setting up a Marine Food Park, Sea Food Restaurant and an Art Gallery in the premises has also been proposed.
- Renovating the existing two fish auction sheds in the new and old Sassoon Dock area into modern fish handling and auction halls to meet international food standards.
- Construction of new fish auction hall with facilities for the hygienic fish handling and sanitation in the new Sassoon Dock area.
- Designating fish loading area behind fish handling and auction halls.
- Designating parking area for wooden push carts and vehicles distributing ice to fishing boats and carrying fish, out of fishery harbor.
- Seawater supply and distribution system supported by pump house etc., exclusively for fish handling and auction halls for cleaning of fish and auction hall premises.
- Providing electrical panel control room and standby diesel gen-set room to ensure smooth operation of fish handling and auction halls even during night hours.
- Strengthening the existing quay structure in the old Sassoon Dock area.
- Designating quay area in Old Sassoon Dock for outfitting boats and providing the required facilities like fuel, freshwater and ice to fishing boats.
- Setting up of tube ice plant including conveyor belt system for transferring tube ice to fishing vessels and chilled storage facility of suitable capacities in new Sassoon Dock area.
- Providing ice crushing facility in the old dock area.
- Overall modernizations to existing quays in old and new Sassoon Dock and Victoria Basin by fishing bollards, mooring rings and tire fenders.