As per available data, the production and export of handloom cloth and garments during year 2015-16 was 720 crore sq.mtrs and Rs.2353 crore respectively. In year 2015-16, it is estimated that total production of handicrafts including handmade carpets was Rs.41418 crore and export of handicrafts was Rs.30939 crores.
Most of the handloom weavers and handicraft artisans live in rural areas. Overall there has been a growing demand for handicraft products both in domestic and international markets. Several interventions have been implemented by the Government to help Indian crafts artisans to adopt to change global trends.
To address the challenges being faced by handloom and handicrafts industries, Govt. of India is implementing the following schemes:
- i) National Handloom Development Programme (NHDP)
- ii) Yarn Supply Scheme (YSS)
iii)Handloom Weavers’ Comprehensive Welfare Scheme (HWCWS)
- iv) Comprehensive Handloom Cluster Development Scheme (CHCDS) (for development of 8 Mega handloom clusters)
- i) Ambedkar Hastshilp Vikas Yojana
- ii) Marketing Support & Services Scheme
iii)Research & Development Scheme
- iv) Mega Cluster Scheme