Exports of Handmade Carpets & Other Floor coverings for the last three years and the current year is as under:-
Year Export figures (in Rs. Crores)
2013-14 Rs.7108.31 Crores.
2014-15 Rs. 8441.95 Crores
2015-16 Rs. 9481.36 Crores
2016-17 Rs. 5786.85 Crores
(upto October, 2016)
The State/UT wise export statistics is not maintained.
The steps taken/being taken by the Government to assist the carpet industry in the country as follows:-
- 5% Merchandise Exports from India Scheme (MEIS) Scrip on exports of Hand Made Carpets and other Floor Coverings under MEIS.
- 3% Interest Equalization Scheme on Pre-Shipment & Post Shipment Credit.
- Market Development Assistance (MDA) Grant and Market Access Initiative (MAI) Assistance for participation in Fairs & Exhibitions/Reverse/Buyer-Seller Meet in India & abroad.
- Assistance provided by the Government for marketing study, branding, participation in Fairs & Exhibitions, Buyer-Seller Meet in India & abroad, Compliance, Social and other welfare measures etc. through Marketing Support and Service Scheme.
- Setting up of Mega Clusters in Bhadohi-Mirzapur& Srinagar for increasing manufacturing and exports.
- Providing Skill Development Training for Carpets weaving.
- Providing financial assistance for running Carpet Weaving Training Centres in Bhadohi-Varanasi-Mirzapur areas for creating new Artisans/ Weavers with stipend.
- The Excise & Customs Duties paid for importing inputs are refunded through Duty Drawback channel.
- Setting up of Indian Institute of Carpet Technology (IICT) at Bhadohi.
The above information was given by the Union Textiles Minister, Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani today, in a written reply to a Rajya Sabha Question.