For mass manufacturing of new generation prosthetic and orthotic devices for PwDs in the country at affordable price Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO) under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and Ottobock Indiainked the Transfer of Technology (ToT) and Technical & Consultancy Services agreement.
The Transfer of Technology agreement was signed by Shri D R Sarin, CMD, ALIMCO and Mr. Ralf Stutch, Director, Ottobock India, in the presence of Shri Lov Verma, Secretary, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment here today
Speaking on the occasion Shri Awanish Kumar Awasthi, Jt. Secretary, DEPwD emphasised that in the Budget Speech of 2014 the Finance Minister had announced to extend the scheme for Assistance to Disabled Persons for purchase/fitting of Aids and Appliances (ADIP) to include contemporary aids and assistive devices. Based on this announcement, a large number of high-technology and modern aids and assistive devices have been approved by the Department and to take this forward, this initiative will go a long way in fulfilling the above task.
Further, such aids and assistive devices can also be provided with financial help from the MP and MLA funds and the demand has come from a large number of public representatives from all over the country.
Understanding the essential need of the International collaboration and partnerships for updating and advancing the state-of-the-art rehabilitation aids in India and facilitating adaptation of the latest technology complementary to the research and development work with the most advanced countries for mutual benefit, ALIMCO has joined hand with German multinational Ottobock, the global leader in provision of innovative services and products for people with limited mobility through their Indian company.
- This agreement will provide opportunity to ALIMCO and Ottobock to work together for producing affordable State-of-Art Prosthetic and Orthotic devices in India.
- Agreement allows ALIMCO to produce minimum 60,000 numbers of new generation prosthetics within the locking period of five years.
- Technical & Consultancy Services will also be provided by Ottobock during this period.
- Since the product will be manufactured with global technology Ottobock is interested in marketing of this product globally and accordingly they approved to take 15,000 number of such product out of total production of 60,000 Nos. at cost plus basis to sell them abroad.
- This will help in contributing towards the ‘Make In India’ drive of the Prime Minister of India.
- Technology Transfer Agreement will enable ALIMCO to produce and provide cost effective and affordable Prosthetic and Orthotic devices to PwDs through its wide spread national network across the country.