The primary objectives of the North Eastern Handicrafts and Handlooms Development Corporation Ltd. (under the administrative control of Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region) are as follows:
- Providing financial, technical and other assistance to craftsmen, weavers, co-operatives and other establishments.
- Establish, operate and promote Sales Centres, like emporia, show-rooms, publicity offices and exhibition cells for improving accessibility of the goods.
- Organize production through co-operatives, artisans or its own production centres
- Promote and operate schemes for development of handicrafts, handlooms and allied products.
- Establish production centres for those craft industries where the demand is growing.
- Provide training for multiplying and upgrading traditional skills.
The annual turnover of the Corporation during 2014-15 and 2015-16 is as under:
|Year||Turnover (Rs. In lakh)|
The total number of artisans benefitted directly and indirectly during 2014-15 and 2015-16 are as under:
The Corporation sources and procures Handicrafts and Handlooms products from artisans, weavers and entrepreneurs of the North Eastern Region for trading the same through its emporia and Regional Sales Promotion Offices located at Shillong, Guwahati, Kolkata, New Delhi, Bangalore and Chennai. Besides, the Corporation also undertakes production of cane based chairs, sofa sets, divans, etc. in its Craft Promotion Centre.